March 17, 2013

Finger painting: an experimental devotional

Soooo, I don't have canvas. Instead, I painted on the plastic protective covering sheet of a picture frame. Those streaks of white are actually on the clear plastic 'canvas' and formed the under-painting. 
Because plastic doesn't have an teeth and cannot really bind to to the paint, I barely used any water, which would cause the paint to run off the surface. I only used water in the final stages to create a thin layer of color on top of the background. 
Sorry that the images are blurry... I had paint on my hands and I was trying to be careful not to get paint all over my phone .__. 
(Lan Nguyen; Song of Solomon; acrylic on plastic; 20 in x 26 in)


"My beloved has gone down to his garden
to the beds of spices,
to graze in the gardens
and to gather lilies.
I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine;
he grazes among the lilies."


On Friday, I decided to try something else... I wanted to try meditating and responding to the Word through art; I decided to finger paint through The Song of Solomon; so I did!

I started my finger painting and Bible devotional at 12:31.
I went through the album Without Words by Bethel Music twice.
I finished around 3-4pm.

Man, I definitely felt encouraged throughout researching and meditating upon and delving deeper into Scripture, particularly Song of Solomon. I was inspired to keep seeking the Lord, no matter how quiet His voice might seem. I was told to be still -- to trust upon the Lord even in times of discouragement and dryness. For Song of Solomon describes the union of God and His people to be the most joyous of times, and in those joys, we cannot lay in rest until we are in His loving embrace once more.

This was my little wake up call, that told me that in my spiritual slumber, God's voice was low and soft, like background static, yet I had chosen to bring the calamity of this world into my heart, muffling the presence of my Savior and drowning out his pleas for His beloved. Here, in the midst of finger painting and scribbling in my devotional journal, I was told that God's voice, whatever volume it might have been in my life and whatever volume it will be, that my spirit ought to be quieted in waiting, eager in silent reception for His Words to lull me out of spiritual lethargy. I was called to be still, to quiet my heart, to listen intently for His voice to awaken my soul in a chorus of joyous melodies.

Man, I learned a lot during this weekend, and I felt my heart rejoice as I fell under the trance of His wisdom and His patience and grace and understanding. Praise the Lord, for His presence stirs life into my dormant soul and brings newness into my longing. I desire to know his heart.

I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine,
sweeetstache

P.S. I'll try to upload higher quality images of my painting very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment